BELLE VUE (Epping, Tas.)
The Belle Vue stud flock was founded by James Gibson in 1863 with a selection of ewes from the flock of David Taylor of Winton, Campbell Town, Tas. To these ewes were put three rams bred by T. Parramore, Beaufront, Tas.
The Beaufront rams were used for some time and then a couple of rams bred by James Stewart, Symmons Plains, Evandale, Tas, were introduced into the stud. The originals of the stud were imported by him from England, and were from the pure Spanish Merino flock called the ‘Hampton Court’ flock. The selection was made by Sir James A. Youl, Symmons Plains, Evandale, Tas, who was an old Colonist.
With the exception of rams bred within the flock not any rams have been used, except on occasions when the stud would obtain the use of a ram from St. Johnstone, Campbell Town, Tas, Winton and Bengeo, Lemana Junction, Tas, F. No. 132, which latter was composed principally of Winton and Belle Vue blood. Link to an historical Belle Vue Ram called The President.
BRINDLEY PARK (Merriwa, NSW)
The Brindley Park stud was founded by J.B. Bettington who personally selected 200 sheep from the flock of Baron Von Boer in the year 1828 and imported them to New South Wales. Baron Von Boer’s flock is a direct descendant from the sheep selected from the Empress Marie Theresa, from the Negrette Cabana in Spain, which later passed into the hands of Prince Licknowski of Ruchelna, in Prussian Silesia.
In 1849, Mr. Bettington imported a Silesian ram from the same flock from which he obtained his first lot.
In 1861, E.K.K. Cox, Rawden, Rylestone, NSW, imported five rams from the celebrated flock of Prince Licknowski.
In 1868, a ram was purchased from C.C. Cox, Brombee, Mudgee, NSW, whose flock being of Prince Licknowski blood were consequently directly descended from the Austrian Imperial flock. Other introductions to this flock came from Winton, Campbell Town, Tas, and Belle Vue (see Reference Flock), also two rams from Zara (Tasmania), F. No. 92.
CAMDEN PARK (Camden, NSW)
The Camden Park stud was originated by Captain John Macarthur at ‘Elizabeth Farm’, Parramatta, NSW, by the purchase of three rams and five ewes from Captain Henry Waterhouse of the trading ship ‘Reliance’, who secured a number of Spanish Merinos from the widow of Colonel Gordon who, at the time of his death, was the British Commandant at Cape Colony. It is recorded that Colonel Gordon originally purchased two rams and four ewes from Spain (said to be of ‘Escurial’ strain) and from these he reared a pure Merino flock which, during 1797, totalled 32 head. During 1804 Captain John Macarthur, while in England, purchased from the Royal flock of Merinos at Kew, nine rams and one ewe (said to be of the ‘Negrette’ strain) but only five rams and one ewe survived the journey of the ‘Argo’ which reached Sydney on 8th June 1805.
For historical purposes, Michael & Sue Collins of Mt Bute, Skipton, Victoria, now kindly run a small flock derived from the Camden strain and details of this flock can be found in the Australian Flock Register by searching ->Mount Bute - Camden. Link to the Camden History
COLLAROY (Merriwa, NSW)
The Collaroy stud was founded in 1825 by Richard Jones and W.a. Davidson who, in that year, imported direct from Saxony 100 pure Saxon Merino ewes and 20 rams, chosen from the leading stud by Roemer, Angus and Co, Leipsic. E. Hamilton, with George Clive, acquired Collaroy in 1839 and added three Saxon rams in 1851. In 1858, Dr. R.J. Traill imported six rams from the pure Spanish Merino stud of T. Sturgeon, ‘The Elms’, Grays, Sussex. These were descended from King George III’s stud at Kew. Since then, no outside blood has been used. C.T. Clive succeeded Dr. Traill in 1873. The Collaroy Company was formed from the partnership of Clive and Hamilton in 1882, and the stud dispersed on 14th September, 1927.
ESK VALE (Epping, Tas.)
The Esk Vale stud was founded by Thomas Gibson in 1880 with a draft of ewes from the flock of David Taylor, St. Johnstone, Campbell Town, Tas, which were mated with rams from Belle Vue (see Reference Flock) and Scone (see Reference Flock).
From that time onwards, the rams used were those bred within the flock, and occasionally one hired from Winton, Campbell Town, Tas. On one or two occasions, a draft of Belle Vue (see Reference Flock) ewes was purchased.
LARA (Camperdown, Vic.)
This stud was founded in 1844 with ewes bred by W.A. Bethune, Dunrobin, Tas, and rams imported by W. Forlonge.
In 1848, rams were added from the stud of Riley and Barker in the Western District of Victoria, whose sheep were imported from the celebrated flocks of Carl August Gadegast, Thal, and Lt-Col Von Schonberg. Both of these flocks were regarded as amongst the best flocks in Saxony. In 1849, rams were added from the Camden Park (see Reference Flock) stud. Up to 1879 not any new blood had been introduced.
RAMBOUILLET (France and USA)
The original flock of Spanish Merinos at Rambouillet, near Paris, was established in 1787. The first introduction of sheep from this flock into Australia occurred about 1829, and a considerable number were imported between 1840 and 1870. In 1984, three ewes from the Texan Rambouillet Stud of Mr. Hayden Haby, together with a ram, which was the son of the best ranked ram in the Rambouillet Production Trials controlled by the Texas A. & M. University Field Station at Sennora, Texas, were imported into Australia. After breeding under quarantine conditions, the progeny of these sheep were released in February, 1992.
SCONE (Epping, Tas.)
This flock was founded in 1854 with sheep purchased by W. Gibson from James A. Youl (afterwards Sir James), Symmons Plains, Evandale, Tas. Mr. Youl’s sheep were originally from the flock bred by James Cox, Clarendon, Evandale, Tas, who obtained a few ewes and one ram from the Camden Park (see Reference Flock) sheep.
With the ewes W. Gibson purchased from James A. Youl, rams bred by the late David taylor of Winton, Campbell Town, Tas, were used and later a ram bred by W. Archer, Brickenden, Tas, was procured. After four years this ram was followed by one bred by James Stewart, Symmons Plains, Evandale, Tas, which was by an imported Saxon ram from a Mona Vale ewe and at the same time one bred by james Gibson, Belle Vue, Epping, Tas, (see Reference Flock) was added to the stud. An imported Negrette ram, bred by Herman von Mathusius, Hunderberg, was used with a few select ewes.
In 1868, W. Gibson Jnr visited Europe and purchased four rams from T. Sturgeon, ‘The Elms’, Grays, Sussex, and two rams from herr Gadegast, the latter being by a celebrated ram named ‘The Owl’.
In 1872, a Belle Vue (see Reference Flock) ram by ‘Sir Thomas’ was used, and a couple of Scone ewes were sent to ‘Sir Thomas’.